The Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 is a high-performing and well designed electric tankless water heater. The newly designed, sleek white finished case with visible controls on the front panel, showcase over 90 years of superior German technology.
This exceptional tankless delivers impressive energy saving performance and an overall experience. We'll take a deep look into the Steibel Eltron Tempra 24 to help you decide if this electric tankless water heater is a good match for your household.
Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Review
- Smart Microprocessor Technology - Designed with several temperature and flow sensors that continually send readings into a microprocessor which monitors and adjusts the incoming and outgoing water termperature. When flow rates increase or decrease the unit adjusts to deliver a steady output temperature.
- Electronic Temperature Control - Set the temperature knob to your desired temperature and the hot water will always be delivered to the proper warmth.
- Voltage Input Options - Depending on your needs, Stiebel Eltron offers the option to run your unit at 208 v or 240 v.
- Self-Modulating Energy Savings - The heating elements are engaged in stages allowing the unit to operate very efficiently.
- Safety - This unit is equipped with a high-limit switch to shut down in the event of over heating, and a manual reset so you won't need to call a plumber unless there's a serious problem. In addition, there's built-in precautions to prevent dry firing.
- Advanced Flow Control - Simply means there won't be any cold water surprises during high demand times. Stiebel Eltron explains this feature like this: "If the demand asked of a Tempra Plus is greater than the unit can handle, Tempra Advanced Flow Control works by slightly reducing the flow of water. Instead of delivering colder water than the set point, a Tempra Plus automatically delivers slightly less water, but at the correct temperature."
Learn More About Advanced Flow Control:
The flow rate, measured in gallons per minute (GPM) is determined by the temperature rise of the incoming water. The Tempra 24 is able to deliver a respectable 5.0 GPM of hot water when the incoming water needs to be warmed 30 degrees Fahrenheit or less.
A flow rate of 5.0 GPM should be able to service 3 showers simultaneously. However, like all tankless units, when the incoming water is cooler, the unit's flow rate will decrease. In the majority of cases, due to cooler incoming water temperatures, you're more likely to see a flow rate in the neighborhood of 3.1 GPM. Still, this should be able to service 2 showers.
Tankless water heaters must be sized correctly in order to meet your household's demand of hot water. If your tankless is under-sized, you'll be very disappointed with the performance of your unit.
Of course, the real reason it can't keep up with the demand, isn't the unit's performance, but rather that the unit is simply too small for your home. This article will help you correctly size your tankless.
Stiebel Eltron has some excellent material on their website to help you find the right model for your geographic location and household needs. The chart below is from their site and shows the temperature rise vs. flow rate for all of their Tempra tankless water heaters.
Although, we are reviewing the Tempra 24, your household hot water needs may require a unit with a larger or lower capacity. It's critical to take the time and find the right sized unit, you may want to contact a professional plumber to help you.
When the Tempra 24 is installed by a licensed professional, Stiebel Eltron offers a solid 7-year leakage and 3-year parts warranty. You can see the complete warranty HERE.
The Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus is one of the higher priced units on the market, especially for an electric tankless water heater, as they tend to be less expensive than gas units. But, it's hard to hold the higher price against this unit.
The trademarked Advance Flow Control feature and self modulating technology make the Tempra 24 Plus among the best of the best. If you're looking for a whole-house electric tankless, this is an excellent choice.
Inside the Tempra 24 Plus
In 1924 Dr. Theodor Stiebel started his company, Stiebel Eltron, in Berlin, Germany by manufacturing immersion water heaters. As a family owned business, the company takes particular pride in manufacturing superior products that are energy efficient, reliable, and exceed customer expectations. Their philosophy is simple, "make it right, then keep making it better."
When we review a product, we typically reach out as a general consumer to the customer service department of the manufacuterer. We never disclose that we are reviewing their product, but we ask them several questions to see if they live up to their customer service claims.
When we contacted Stiebel Eltron by email, we had a response within hours. The representative not only answered our questions, but also gave us links to additional helpful information. He provided us with his email address and phone number with extension, and he also gave us details for another tech representative if we were unable to reach him. By far, this was the best response we have ever received!
- Quiet operation. Without mechanical switches, the unit runs extremely quiet.
- 99% efficiency. Nearly all of the energy goes into heating the water.
- The sleek and compact design allows the Tempra 24 Plus to fit into tight spots without being an eye-sore.
- Advanced Flow Control helps keep a consistent hot water temperature regardless of the demand.
- The front panel digital display makes temperature adjustments and overall operation very simple.
- No expensive venting required.
- May not be suitable for older homes. Electric tankless heaters require a lot of electricity to operate, if your house doesn't have the energy requirements necessary, you will need to upgrade your panel, which can be very expensive.
- Quality and cutting edge technology comes with a price, and these tankless units aren't inexpensive.
The Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus is a great tankless water heater. It's well designed and built to last, but like any tankless, it must be maintained properly. Installing a sediment filter on your incoming water line, and performing regular flushing will help keep this unit running in top shape for many years.
If your home has adequate electrical power and you don't plan on moving in the near future, the Tempra 24 Plus is a worthwhile investment. There certainly are less expensive electric tankless water heaters on the market, but this is an excellent choice.
However, if you need a more powerful unit for a larger family, Stiebel Eltron has two units in the Tempra line that are capable of delivering even more hot water: The Tempra 29 Plus packs 29 kilowatts and the Tempra 36.